A Common Place for Discussion

This blog is intended to allow us all to discuss plans for the rennovation of Mom and Dad's kitchen without Dad having to be on the phone around Mom. It is also intended to allow Cydney and Ken to participate. It is a private blog and cannot be accessed without an invitation from me. You have all been invited because as well as added as contributors so that you can post. You should all receive e-mails when a new post goes up as well as when comments are made. If it is urgent that we read what you posted please send a text to the whole group and mom that reads "BBQ Sauce" and thanks to Dave Steed for that one. I will take care of the story with Mom, we are going to say that it happened at the party at Nat and Dave's that he was randomly saying it. The idea is that she will think it is just a joke when we all know it is that and a signal.

Last, PLEASE DO NOT PUT LINKS FOR THIS ON YOUR BLOGS UNLESS YOU CAN DISGUISE IT SO THAT MOM WON'T NOTICE IT. I will have a link under the "How We Spend our Time" Heading on my blog that says Piano Gallery. If you click on that it will take you to this blog!

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Cabinet Update

GRRR! We hit a bit of a snag. We were stupid and wiped down the poly, because it looked so glossy, but it dried streaked, so we called Joel and got some advice and then I went to the store and spent about a 1/2 hour in conversation with a guy named Sean, who was SO HELPFUL! He gave me all sorts of great advice and I was on my way with the product we should been using all along, a satin finish instead of semi-glossy, because when it comes to polyurithane, semi-glossy is really glossy. I would hate to see what the glossy looks like.

So, I went to the house this afternoon, sanded all of the outsides of the cabinets. Did a test patch in the back of the cabinet hidden by the fridge and sure enough, we had wiped the poly off so much that I was also sanding off the paint. I got ALL of the cabinets sanded and taped off and then reinforcements showed up. We painted another coat of black paint around the entire kitchen, sanded the edges to antique and stained and got another coat of poly on. So basically we started them over tonight with a jump start. We also had doors being worked on and lots going on tonight. It is going to be a nail biter to get the cabinets done because they need 3 days after the last coat of poly before they can withstand regular use and that is after a MINIMUM of 3 coats.

Time will tell I guess!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh, and yes you are seeing the time right. I left mom and dad's house at 2:30 putting me home at 3:00 AM. Good night! So Did Nat and Dave and Cameron was up til the bitter end with us tonight too!

Kerry said...

Wow! I am so sorry that this HUGE setback happened. It will be OK, though. Even if we have to do a few things after the reveal, mom is still going to be blown away by what you have all accomplished!!

What a great job!